Autoescuela: Part 2

In March, I blogged about the fact that I had just started driving school aka “Autoescuela” (See Autoescuela: Part 1). I set the lofty goal of studying, attending classes, and taking the theoretical exam in Spanish. While my Spanish has truly come a long way in eight months, this… well… this shit is hard! Back in March when I wrote that post, I thought that giving myself two months was probably enough to reach this goal, but Easter vacations, a trip to Barcelona, and just over two weeks of family in town have made it difficult. Plus, the school closes for the midday siesta, only leaving mornings for me to go and take practice tests, which are of course not available online. So for those of you wondering, I have not attempted the exam yet, but I will share with you some insight into the experience I’ve had thus far.


("Loser"?)
With the “Permiso B” license that I’m trying to obtain, I will be able to drive a car. More specifically, I will be able to drive a car less than 3,500kg MMA (maximum authorized mass) but I can drive it pulling a trailer of up to 750kg MMA. During the first year of this “permiso” I have to post a big sign in the back window informing all other drivers that I have less than one year experience as a driver. During the first two years I can have an alcohol content in my blood of 0,3 grams per liter, but after that, I can have 0,5 grams per liter. Once I’ve reached three years with this permiso, I can drive a ciclomotor. A ciclomotor is not the same thing as a motocicleta because it has an engine less than 50cm3, and only reaches a velocity of 45km/h. But the engine dimensions change if it is a quad or a three -wheeled vehicle. "Ciclomotores” are not allowed on highways (called autopistas or autovias - which are not technically the same thing and have different rules), but they are allowed on interurban roads and in the poblado (within a village). Speed limit signs may or may not be posted so I have to know that when I’m in the poblado it’s max 50 km/h, when I’m on an interurban road it is 90 km/h if the shoulder is less than 1.5 meters, but if the shoulder is more than 1.5 meters the speed limit is 100 km/h. However, I can exceed the speed limit up to 20km/h to pass a car, but only if the car is going 99 km/h or less. And you can't exceet the 120 km/h limit on autopistas. All these speed limits change though if I’m pulling a trailer, driving a van, a caravan,or a caravan pulling a trailer and I need to know the maximum and minimums speeds for all of these, plus which lanes they are permitted, prohibited, or are recommended to use or not use. Not to mention the rules for agriculture tractors and “vehiculos de traccion animal” which are generally carts pulled by horses - something that I encounter more frequently on the roads than you’d imagine. Are you overwhelmed yet? Because I'm just scratching the surface.


If not, please, please HELP ME. While I spent years in college cramming and memorizing information I can only do so much of that here. Even if I remember all the terminology and relevant vocabulary enough to understand what a question is asking, I can’t rely on my multiple choice “guessing” skills or deductive reasoning in a different culture that has an inherently different logic behind its procedures.

For example, my instructor made it clear that a discontinuous line between two lanes implies that you can cross it, particularly to pass another car. A continuous line implies that you cannot cross over the line for any reason. Makes sense. That is the case in the U.S. This raised a question in my mind and I explained to him that I had driven over the mountain from Javea to the neighboring down, Denia, several times- which is an extremely narrow one lane (in each direction) road, with no shoulder, and cliffs beyond the pavement. If you asked my mom, she would describe it as terrifying.The road has a discontinuous white line separating the lanes and I've seen cars passing other cars on this road which seems like it should be prohibited. I asked him, how could this be? He informed me that it IS prohibited and that there is sign at the beginning of the road with text informing drivers that they cannot pass. OK. So I replied, yes, but why doesn't the road have a CONTINUOUS line so there is no confusion? And he replied nonchalantly, that it's probably because of the cost of paint is high. WHAT? Is this an area to implement costs savings?! So... yeah... logic.


Below are ten legitimate test questions I've chosen to translate so you can participate. (Please pardon the less than perfect translation, but this is what I’m doing in my head as I read the questions in Spanish.) Good Luck ¡Buena Suerte!


1. In general, who does alcohol affect more?
  1. Men
  2. Women
  3. The effects of alcohol don’t depend on the sex of the person.


2. All cars are should have a minimum of two mirrors. Which one is always obligatory?
  1. The central
  2. The left
  3. The right


3. With ice and snow, it is advisable to…
  1. Utilize the highest gears possible.
  2. Utilize the lowest gears possible.
  3. Break hard on the curves.


4. While driving a car, you are about to incorporate yourself into traffic through an acceleration lane. What should you do?
  1. Stop at the very beginning of the lane and make sure that it is safe to proceed.
  2. Increase your speed to incorporate yourself with the traffic that is approaching because you have priority.
  3. Increase your speed to incorporate yourself with the traffic, yielding to traffic approaching.


5. In order to pass a vehicle that has indicated with a turn signal that they are going to turn left, how should you carry out this maneuver?
  1. If there is sufficient space you proceed with caution, you can pass them on the right.
  2. You should advise them with your horn, carrying out the maneuver on the left as fast as you can.
  3. This maneuver is prohibited.


6. Is it permitted for cars to utilize the part of the lane reserved for buses, delimited by discontinuous lines?
  1. Yes, but only to change your direction to the right (turn right).
  2. Yes, in order to carry out a maneuver that is not stopping, parking, changing your direction, or passing.
  3. No, it is always prohibited.


7. A herd of animals is on a road not designated for livestock. Where should it circulate?
  1. Either the right or the left side of the road.
  2. The left
  3. The right


8. Signals carried out by a driver using their arm, are they valid?
  1. Only when the are seen well.
  2. Only when utilized during the day.
  3. Only when used in the poblado (village).


9. The police have immobilized a vehicle whose driver was tested and found to have an alcohol level greater than the level permitted. When can the driver return to driving?
  1. When the police officer leaves.
  2. When the level of alcohol drops below the level permitted.
  3. The driver will not be allowed to drive that day and has to find another driver for his car.


10. Which vehicles are more affected by lateral winds?
  1. Camions (semi trucks)
  2. Tourismos (cars)
  3. Motocicletas y ciclomotores (motorcycles and mopeds)


Answers: 1b, 2b, 3a, 4a, 5a, 6b, 7c, 8a, 9b, 10c


Did you find any of these correct answers to be sexist, illogical, or just plain weird? I do, although I've come a long way in adjusting my way of thinking (or just simply memorizing the answers to questions that don’t make sense with the hope it will be worded the same on the actual exam.)


A week ago at school, I finally met someone who is studying for the English version of the exam. He is around fifty years old, is from Bahrain (middle east), now lives in Spain, and therefore, like me, must take the exam even though he’s driven more years of his life than he hasn’t. It has been so nice to commiserate over the questions with someone else! For me, it has been interesting to see the translations of the questions into English, which are pretty wordy and confusing. While the English version is the backup plan for this tedious process, I feel like I’ve already done SO much work in Spanish that I can't turn back. I’m passing about half the practice exams and failing half - but only by 1 or 2 questions. For the next two weeks, I plan to hit the books hard and pound these questions into my brain, illogical or not!! You can expect at least a Part 3 to this journey... life is never boring!




Comments

  1. Hey Girl...did you get my FB email? I'm not on FB anymore but want to get some info from you...and lost all the other contact info of yours when I got a new phone :-(. Want to chat about summer dates to get the boys together....and Spain!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts