Non-Lucrative Spanish Visa Requirements

Applying for a Non-Lucrative Spanish Visa was my full-time job for several months. I didn't want to write about the application process until we had successfully got our visas (which we did last week!) When we made the decision to move to Spain we wanted to make sure we could get there before September so our kids could start school at the beginning of the year.  This meant we had three months to collect all the documents needed for our visa interview. That seems like a reasonable amount of time until you start reading turnaround times for these government agencies. Plus the requirements provided by the spanish consulate left me with so many questions. I spent a lot of time researching and found these two blogs especially helpful: 
  •  Two Bad Tourists - I paid $25 to get their free guide which was worth it. Auston was great about answering questions via email.
  • Jed and his blog Bucking The Trend which was really helpful because his experience was through the Chicago consulate and he was applying for his entire family.
We have learned a lot through this process and hope this information helps anyone going through this overwhelming process! It seems like everyone's experience is different so I wanted to share ours.

Keeping track of everything became cumbersome so I eventually created a spreadsheet to help maintain sanity.  Here is a snapshot before we had everything completed:
The official list of requirements is found at the link below:
Non-Lucrative Visa Requirements (Spanish Consulate in Chicago)
*Note: This list is different for each consulate throughout the US

1. National Visa Application Form  

2. Passport and ID  - We had to get new ones for the kids and payed the extra money to have it expedited (turnaround took less than 2 weeks)

3. Passport Photos - Walgreens

4. Letter of Intent - Got a template from Two Bad Tourists which was helpful. This seems to be a new requirement and was one of the first things they read through at the consulate.

5. Proof of Adequate Financial Resources - Davin included more information that was probably necessary but I've read that some other people got drilled by the consulate on this.

6. Proof of Accommodation -  This was a HUGE stress for us in the beginning. We thought we HAD to have a long-term rental contract to apply so we worked obsessively with a property management company in Jávea to lock down an apartment site unseen.  Thankfully images and google earth could give us a good idea of the place.  I later found out that they will accept a short-term let through like air bnb as well.

7. Proof of Health Insurance - We provided letters from our American health insurance companies that SPECIFICALLY pointed outline what would be covered internationally.  We also purchased World Nomad Explorer travel insurance which includes repatriation (the most important piece to the consulate).

8. Authorization Form EX-01 

9. Form 790

10. Criminal Background Check - Read this post for more information. Needs to have Apostille of the Hague certificate.

11. Medical Certificate - Got a template from Two Bad Tourists for this in both english and spanish and simply had our doctors sign the forms after our annual physical. 

12. Self-Addressed Express USPS Envelope - We brought two of these just in case, and they used both.

13. Marriage Certificate/Birth Certificates - Needs to have the Apostille of the Hague certificate

Government documents must have the Apostille of the Hague certification.  This is basically the state verifying that the documents aren't falsified.  Here's what it looks like:


Once you have all required documents, you must them translated. I thought this would be easy and waited until the 11th hour. Then when I went inquire to some online translating companies and was quoted over a thousand dollars! In newfound state of panic, I reached out to anyone who knew native spanish speakers that might be up for it, but then realized the website specifically states it must be done by a 'certified translator'. I wanted to make sure we did this right the first time through. As we were running low on time I somehow came across Rev.  This provided document translation for $27/page (250 word limit per page) and completed translations over night via email!  It was brilliant!

The consulate states that the spouse and children must have all of the same documents as the applicant.  This meant copies, and then copies of those copies to cover the whole family.  Because we wanted SO badly to have a smooth interview we organized a folder for each family member. Inside I labeled each original document (in order listed on the consulate's website) with the official translated version. We also 4 copies of everything.


So how did it go?  Read Chicago Consulate Interview

How did we get our residency cards once we arrived in Spain? Read Residency Cards in Spain

Comments

  1. Hi, Jenny!
    Just to let you know that your blog has been a great kind of useful information to me!
    I'm fromn Brazil with plans to relocate for a year to Spain with spouse and daugther.
    Thanks for sharing this and all the best for you!
    Best Regards,
    Marcos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! Thanks for the great post! Can you please tell me what documents you submitted to REV for translation? (for example, do you have to give them the Apostille for the birth certificates?) I'll be applying for the non-lucrative visa through the Chicago Consulate as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      We submitted the following: birth certificates, letter from our doctors, our travelers insurance document (world nomad), letter from our american health insurance company summarizing our coverage (we had to request that from them), our marriage certificate, and a letter from my husband's employer saying that they planned to continue his employment (this wasn't required but I think it helped). You don't have to have the Apostille's translated. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any more questions as you go through the process.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny! My family and I are planning on applying for visas through the Chicago Consulate. I'm currently looking for a health insurance plan. Can you tell me if you've been happy with your World Nomad coverage? Have you had to use it at all? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erica. We haven't had to use our World Nomad health coverage (which I guess is a good thing) so maybe we didn't need to do the elite version. We have purchased Spanish health insurance through DKV which is very affordable and are happy with that. Regardless I know that we still need our traveler's insurance for the "repatriation" benefit which you have to have to get your non-lucrative visa or re-new it. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! Would you mind if I emailed you a few more questions? (or if you'd rather not provide your email address, I completely understand)

      Delete
    2. Hi Jenny. I'm curious if you're planning on renewing your non-lucrative visa for another year? If so, are you planning on keeping both insurance plans (World Nomad and DKV)? Also, did you happen to use any service for sending any belongings to Spain? We're planning on packing light, but I know we'll want to take books for our 3 year old (which are heavy and take up a lot of suitcase space), so I was curious if you're familiar with any service for sending stuff at a reasonable rate. Thanks in advance!

      Delete
    3. Yes we are just beginning to the visa renewal process- another adventure! We plan to keep the DKV plan and we will renew our World Nomad as well but opt for the cheaper version this time. We didn't use any service to ship things over because it was so expensive. I had a difficult time leaving behind all of my kid's books (especially a Star Wars one that weighed 7lbs and my son loved), but would suggest that you consider other options. Your three year old will be diving into Spanish books right? Plus there is always amazon.es if you need to find english books if you can't find them in stores. Where are you going to live in Spain?

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much! We're still waiting on placement from the "Auxiliar de Conversacion" program, but we're planning on the Non-Lucrative visa as a backup plan. We're hoping to head to Tenerife! :) Thanks again for the great blog and great information!

      Delete
  5. Jenny, you organization queen! I have to say, I love your Excel spreadsheet and grabbed it.

    I have a bit of a peculiar situation: am american but been living in Asia (Thailand and China) for the last 5 years). Have a retirement visa in Thailand and will be applying for non-lucrativa visa in Bangkok. Hoping it all works.

    A question I'm having a hard time getting answered: I know the NL doesn't allow me to earn money in Spain BUT to meet the finances requirement, can I show income I make online from clients in countries outside Spain? I have a healthy online writing/editing business with clients in Asia, US and UK and would like to show that income. Do you know if that's allowed?

    Thanks so much and suerte with your renewal

    Terrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terence. Glad to help out in any way I can. As far as the non-lucrative goes we showed bank balances, investments, and W2 forms. Plus my husband had his company write a letter that said he was employed and would continue to be throughout the year. So if you can show income from outside of Spain, do it. Essentially they want to know that you can support yourself and that you aren't going to take a job or income from a Spaniard who needs it:) I'd love to know about your writing/editing business as this is an area I'm considering pursuing. Edited my first fiction novel this year.

      Delete
  6. We are doing the forms for retirement visas, permanent. Curious when you say all docs must shows the Ap seal. We did the criminal background checks, but does the insurance and everything have to be notarized or Apos?
    Worried were not doing it right. And the for ex 01 is confusing. It asks our address and phone in Spain, not going to have a permanent address until we buy. So must it be filled in?
    So many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. The insurance has to be translated but does not need Apostille. As for the EX-01 (and other forms in the future) you will need an address. I would recommend renting an AirBnB for at least a couple weeks and use that address. We included an introductory letter with all of our paperwork and you could explain that the address is temporary until you purchase a home. Another idea is to look for a mailbox service wherever you plan to go. For example, we use a mailbox service for all of our mail so that we don't have to worry about being home when we receive packages and when we were away the they would notify us if we received letters from the government. Its not far from our house and is really convenient. As for the telephone, we left that blank.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny,

    I just wanted to say thank you so much for your article and for your answers. You don't know how helpful this has been. My husband and I are applying for a Non-Lucrative Residence Visa. We are currently in Michigan and we are working on our Visa. And we already have our apartment in Spain waiting for us :) But, there is one thing on the last page that is tripping us up. We already have our Birth Certificates, but do we need to get another "Original Copy" issued in the last 12 months for us? And do we have to get another "Original Copy" for our son as well? It seems like they need another "Original Copy" within the last 6 months for our son, but it does not make it clear if my husband and I have to go back and get yet another copy of each of our Birth Certificates.
    Do you know if we need to do that?
    Thank you so much.
    XO Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nina, I can't load the page right now to see if things have changed. However, I don't know why you would need another original copy issued in the last 12 months if you have your Birth Certificates and the Apostille. The Apostille verifies the document is legit (so I'm not sure why you would need to have new ones). Also- not sure why you would need two in the first place. One original with the Apostille and plenty of copies worked for us. Hope that helps??

      Delete
    2. Hi Jenny,

      Thank you so much for your answer!

      We went ahead and ordered brand new copies of all our Birth Certificates and our Marriage License. We didn't want to take a chance because it said "original issued within the last 12 months".

      We have our appointment next week, so I hope all goes well!!

      I was wondering, I would love to have a consult with you. Do you offer this?

      We have some questions about living over there in Spain.

      Let me know!

      XO Nina

      Delete
  9. Hi Jenny.

    Thank you for this post. I wanted to ask you a question about the financial requirements. Even though you proved that you would have an income, did you still need to show a certain amount of money saved or was the proof of current and future income enough?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love reading this article so beautiful!!great job! spanish visa london

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thank you so much for sharing all of this. It has been a huge help. Something I haven't understood in any blogs yet is need I do anything with the Form 790 or am I just meant to bring it with me?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts